This ad is expired.
Location: Ecological Restoration Inst.
Job ID: 607265
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
- This position is an on-site position which requires the incumbent to complete their work primarily at an NAU site, campus, or facility with or without accommodation. Opportunities for remote work are rare.
- This position is subject to the availability of funding. The incumbent is not eligible for Service Professional non-renewal notice, or Classified Staff layoff or recall status.
The Ecological Restoration Institute (ERI) at Northern Arizona University (NAU) is adding to our Science Application, Exchange, and Delivery Team! The ERI seeks applicants with a broad set of science delivery skills and capacities to meet our mission: to serve diverse audiences with science-based management and implementation strategies to support ecological restoration and climate adaptation, across all lands.
This position works across boundaries and with a variety of professional partners as an essential science communicator. This position will establish communication between scientists, the natural resources management community and their stakeholders. The ideal candidate will strategically find connections among emerging science and natural resource needs. They will be able to translate the best available science for multiple audiences, and develop innovative approaches for science communication, application, and exchange with diverse audiences.
Strong candidates will have demonstrated written, verbal, organizational, and facilitation skills, along with an applied science background. Preferred candidates understand the tools and technologies for data visualization, infographic development, geospatial communication products. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in land management or close work with land managers and those who have worked to apply science.
Science Delivery Content & Application - 50%
- Supports a portfolio of projects that facilitate communication and knowledge exchange between the scientific and natural resources management community.
- Leads and/or contributes to the coordination of workshops, seminars, and virtual events at local, state and west-wide scales.
- Collaborates with ERI scientists and communications staff to explore and identify new science delivery and/or integrative products based upon recognized land manager/stakeholder needs.
- Manages and coordinates with ERI staff to ensure timely creation and dissemination of a regular and diverse suite of written or web-based science delivery products translating emerging science for land management communities to meet identified land manager/stakeholder needs.
- Establishes means to assess and track outcomes from science delivery efforts.
- Responsible for maintaining success stories and develops innovative ways to showcase these with stakeholders.
Partnership Management - 20%
- Maintains and enhances relationships with both the scientific and land management communities.
- Assesses, summarizes, and communicates land manager needs to researchers, and integrates land manager needs into current ERI work.
Collaboration Support - 15%
- Provides coordination for, and/or participates in, partnerships and collaboratives with a wide range of natural resources interest groups and constituencies.
Support to ERI Mission - 10%
- Enhances ERI's capacity to synthesize, transfer, apply interdisciplinary knowledge to multiple audiences to better understand the ecological and socioeconomic impacts of wildfire on ecosystems and landscapes.
Other - 5%
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Natural Resource or Science Communication field, including but not limited to Environmental Science, Forestry, Biology, Natural Resource Management, Science Communication, Communications.
- 1 - 2 years of project management experience.
- 2 - 4 years of relevant experience.
- A combination of related education, experience and training my be used as an equivalent to the above minimum requirements.
- Master's Degree in related field.
- Experience coordinating delivery outcomes including event planning for workshops, webinars, field tours.
- Demonstrated experience working in collaborative teams to innovate better science communication to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated experience using scientific literature to distill professional and technical recommendations, and inform policy interpretation for land managers.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, staff, and stakeholders outside the university setting.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple work projects.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of science delivery methodologies, technologies, and processes.
- Knowledge of western forest systems.
- Knowledge of public land management policies, practice, and culture.
- Skilled in translating complex technical information to non-technical audiences regarding data and information management and technology.
- Skilled in professional writing and verbal communication techniques.
- Skilled in software platforms that facilitate different science outreach products, including some of, and not limited to, the following: Adobe suite, Microsoft suite, ArcGis and Google Earth Engine.
- Ability to establish and nurture beneficial professional relationships with diverse entities.
- Ability to appropriately manage and incorporate differing views from diverse partners into productive discussions and outcomes.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $62,996.00. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of the pay period following election. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following election.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
June 28, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=607265&PostingSeq=1